Thursday, March 3, 2011

The mushy middle


I started this blog, out of an eagerness to learn more about my city, and also, out of outrage with the free ride that our new mayor got throughout the election.  I assuaged my fears that he would become mayor, by telling myself, he's the mayor, he only has one vote.  Council will see the through the bluster and bullshit and stop him from doing anything too stupid to our city.  Having not followed city politics that closely, I didn't realize how many members of council simply don't want to make waves.  I really don't understand why someone would get into politics without having the courage of their convictions, and instead let the prevailing winds dictate which way they will vote.  Maybe, I'm naive, but, I thought that city government, having no political parties, would perhaps lead to some independent thought.  The council debates played out according to the Ford team script.  The same councillors spoke on both sides of the debate and the "mushy middle" took their cues from the Mayor, rendering the debate almost pointless.  The mayor plowed the surplus left to him by Miller's "free spending" administration, into the budget, leaving no breathing room for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment